Many business professionals tend to think that it’s hard to develop new ideas and approaches to grow their business, when in fact, inspiration can come from many different places. And as we’ve mentioned before, we are showing you the power of the good old fashioned dictionary where just a few flips of a page can send you from stumped to seriously inspired.
We are now up to the letter “T” in our Creative Thinking Made Easy: 26 Ways to find Innovation Inspiration from A-Z” book series.
“T is for Tropical,” and TROPICAL INNOVATION IDEAS. What a fun one to concentrate on! Who doesn’t love the thought of palm trees, warm breezes, umbrella drinks, white sandy beaches and the sound of the crashing tide? And, ahhh, let’s not forget the wonderful smell of suntan lotion – the must-have item for fun in the sun! That’s the sensory power of TROPICAL, so let’s get started creating some new TROPICALINNOVATION IDEAS for your business right now.
TROPICAL is defined as:
- Of, being, or characteristic of a region or climate that is frost-free with temperatures high enough to support year-round plant growth given sufficient moisture
- Hot and humid; torrid
- Happy, feeling good, relaxed; meaning anything good
TROPICAL is synonymous with sunny lazy days, warm breezes and relaxation. Life in the tropics seems to run at a much slower pace, and rightly so, since many of us escape to the TROPICS for a vacation to get away from it all. TROPICAL seems to say “slow down, relax, regenerate, and get sun-kissed.” And how can that NOT be appealing to anyone:)
TROPICAL is not only synonymous with transporting you to a fun and relaxing location, but when it comes to fruits and food, it has also become synonymous with delicious, high-powered nutrition. Consumers are intrigued to learn about the many nutritional benefits of these TROPICAL super fruits. TROPICAL is riding the functional food trend and rightly so. From bananas and pomegranates to mangos and coconuts, we are discovering that these vitamin-packed fruits loaded with antioxidants can do more for our bodies, like manage the risks of heart disease, cancer, and many other illnesses. These amazingly delicious fruits are showing up in everything from salsas to sushi to smoothies and taking center-stage on the menus of top restaurants.
Let’s take a closer look at some companies or brands that are either based on TROPICAL, or have taken a TROPICAL INNOVATION spin.
– Margaritaville – Whether you are talking about his restaurants, casinos, clothing lines, or concert tours, Jimmy Buffet is the ultimate Parrothead and remains THE poster child for the TROPICAL way of life. Now we don’t have to wait for vacation to live the “chilled” life – it’s just a short drive away to get to one of his restaurants. And just wearing one of his island shirts is sometimes all it takes to chase the “blues” and stress away. We can’t think of a better reason to have a Cheeseburger in Paradise! Can you incorporate TROPICAL INNOVATION IDEAS like music, images, or designs into your brand to gain consumer attention and purchase?
– Glade & Febreze Air Fresheners – TROPICAL scents are growing in both Glade’s and Febreze’s fragrance portfolios featuring Hawaiian Aloha (fragrant hibiscus blooms), Hawaiian Breeze (pineapple, and plumeria), and Pineapple & Mangosteen, Thai Dragon Fruit (papaya, mango, and sweet dragon fruit). TROPICAL scents are also the basis for many of the fragrance profiles in health & beauty products including bath oils, body washes, body lotions, shampoos and conditioners, as well as women’s perfumes. Again, the sensory power of TROPICAL scents is definitely showing us strong consumer preference, so how can you incorporate them into your brand portfolio?
– Coconut Water- This business is entirely based on one TROPICAL INNOVATION IDEA – TROPICAL hydration. Coconut water represents one of the fastest growing beverage categories due to its natural hydrating qualities, great taste and nutritional benefits. Vita Coco is just one of many coconut waters to enter the market (i.e.O.N.E., Zico, C2O) and ride the trend wave. Consumers were intrigued from the get-go with this super-hydrating, fat-free, cholesterol-free, nutrient-packed, potassium-stacked, mega-electrolyte beverage. If you are a food manufacturer, how can you incorporate coconut water into your future products to drive consumption?
– POM Wonderful – And let’s not forget another TROPICAL beverage overnight success with POM, the pomegranate-based super fruit juice that has also expanded into hybrid blends that provide a double-dose of super fruit nutrition. Yes, they have jumped on the coconut water trend too, but have incorporated other TROPICAL ingredients to develop interesting TROPICAL INNOVATION IDEAS in the form of juice blends. Unique packaging and the promise of health benefits have clearly made this a successful strong brand in its own right, but by adding the power of other super fruits, they have easily been able to expand their portfolio and footprint at the store.
Nutritional benefits aside, just incorporating the delicious flavor of TROPICAL alone has undoubtedly driven growth in many food categories ranging from gum & candies to liquor & spirits. Both Starburst and Skittles have added TROPICAL SKUs to their portfolio and the major brands of rum, vodka, gin, whiskey, and even moonshine have launched TROPICAL INNOVATION IDEAS with banana, coconut, mango, passion fruit, pineapple, pomegranate, dragon fruit and lychee finding a place in their line-ups. Can you incorporate fruit flavors into your product portfolio? Whether you are targeting children, teens, or adults, there’s plenty to do with TROPICAL IDEAS.
– Cariloha – What can be more TROPICAL than bamboo? This bamboo retailer is popping up in Caribbean resort areas to promote the benefits of apparel, accessories, bath, and bedding products made from bamboo. Clothing made from bamboo can absorb and evaporate perspiration very fast. The cross section of the bamboo fiber has various micro-gaps and holes, which enables moisture absorption and ventilation better than cotton. It also has anti-bacterial properties. It contains a unique anti-bacterial agent named “kun”, which bonds with bamboo cellulose during the fiber growth and is retained in the fabric. The result can be less sweat and less body odor. Bamboo clothing has anti-UV effect and anti-static properties and is very suitable for sensitive skin, since no harsh chemicals used in processing of the fibers. And let’s not forget the benefits of its green footprint on our environment. Let’s start thinking about TROPICAL IDEAS to grow your business. How can bamboo work for you? Are any of its many benefits needs, wants, or desires of your target consumer? What about its sustainability feature? Is that something important to your customer? Does it make sense to investigate the possibility of using some form of bamboo for your packaging?
Again, we understand that TROPICAL INNOVATION IDEAS may not fit into everyone’s growth strategy, but we are just trying to help you stretch your imagination on how you can utilize TROPICAL IDEAS to grow your business. Some ways will work, others won’t, but keep yourself open to the many possibilities.
So where do we go from here? We encourage you to do one of three things: 1) Leave a comment at the bottom of this page so we know if we are providing helpful information to you, 2) Sign up for our FREE Report in the box at the upper right of the page and get on our subscriber’s list, and 3) Pick up the phone and give us a call. We WANT to help you succeed with your innovation efforts. Being stuck for answers can hold you back and we know there has to be something on your mind. How many people will give you their time for FREE to help you out – not many I assure you. Yes, we are unique and that’s what we want you to find out. We are committed to helping you grow your brand substantially through added-value products and services. That is what market leaders do, so let’s get started.
Innovation ROI is a leading up-front innovation firm that has a combined 38 years of expertise collaborating with top corporate innovation teams to create incredible, actionable business—building ideas. You will get a Return On Insights through our Collision Point™ process, where INSIGHTS and IMAGINATION intersect to create powerful strategic ideas for success. Learn more about Innovation ROI at www.innovationroi.com.