We are now up to the letter “V” in our Creative Thinking Made Easy: 26 Ways to find Innovation Inspiration from A-Z” book series.
“V is for Vitamin-Fortified.” This is an interesting area because there are many reasons a head of household may be looking for products that offer this benefit for themselves and their family – from just wanting to improve upon basic nutrition, taking a proactive approach to disease prevention, or just believing that more is better when it comes to VITAMINS for ANY product – even those beyond the food industry.
VITAMIN-FORTIFIED is defined as:
• To help by making one stronger through additional vitamins
• To enhance by using any of a group of organic substances essential in small quantities to normal metabolism, found in minute amounts in natural foodstuffs or sometimes produced synthetically
Several factors contributed to the initial development – and eventually growth – of VITAMIN-FORTIFIED foods and the vitamin industry. It was estimated that about 45 million Americans suffered vitamin starvation as a result of the Depression Era. And new technologies now gave manufacturers the ability to spray vitamins onto foods for VITAMIN-FORTIFIED cereals, flour and bread.
The first wide usage of VITAMIN-FORTIFIED was with the introduction of Vitamin D milk in the 1930’s. One vitamin launched in the early 1940’s – and still successful today – was One-A-Day, a once daily pill which, at the time, was the only “one pill a day” vitamin available on the market.
The global vitamin and supplement market is worth $68 billion according to research from Euromonitor. It is also estimated that 50% of Americans take vitamins and supplements, leading us to hypothesize that these same consumers would tend to be interested in VITAMIN-FORTIFIED products. Let’s take a look at VITAMIN-FORTIFIED products on the market today to give you ideas for growing your business.
– Wonder Bread – Yes, probably the first VITAMIN-FORTIFIED product I encountered in my childhood, I can see why mom’s gravitated to it with the slogan “Builds strong bodies 12 ways.” Wonder bread was one of the first white breads to be fortified with eight essential vitamins and minerals.
– The “Plus” Platform – When you walk down the aisles of the grocery store, you can’t help but see many products using the term “Plus” after the brand name – Total Plus, Mott’s Plus Applesauce, Coke Plus, etc. We were fortunate to have the opportunity to be the instigators of this VITAMIN-FORTIFIED moniker with our involvement in the development of 7-Up Plus.
– Pantene Pro-V –With a staggering array of hair care and hairstyling product offerings and a strong focus on hair health, Pantene’s Pro-V tagline “Hair so healthy it shines” is recognized all over the world. Pantene Pro-V is formulated with VitaminB5, also known as Panthenol, which penetrates into the shaft and ultimately moves towards the cortex or the base of the hair, where the growth is stimulated. Personally, I believe much of their success has come from educating the consumer with a strong reason to believe around VITAMIN-FORTIFIED, so they fully understand how the vitamin works and what the end benefit is to them. Take a look at the snapshot from the Pantene website (shown below) to get an idea of what I’m referring to. If you have trouble seeing it, here’s the link to the website – http://www.pantene.com.au/pages/about-pantene.aspx.
– Jergens® Age Defying Multi-Vitamin Moisturizer has an antioxidant blend of vitamins A, E, & C to help restore dry skin and provide all day moisturization, leaving skin soft and smooth. The term “Age Defying” together with “Multi-Vitamin” subconsciously give you both a benefit and reason to believe in the brand name.
We could go on and on with many other examples of VITAMIN-FORTIFIED, and as you can see, the benefit (and the appeal) goes well beyond the food industry. So how can we translate VITAMIN-FORTIFIED into your marketing campaign or product portfolio? Start investigating all the benefits offered from antioxidants, top-selling supplements, and key vitamins to see if those benefits can translate into your particular category. Start a list and then go down them one-by-one to create at least 1-2 creative ideas to inject VITAMIN-FORTIFIED into your marketing mix. Good luck!
So what’s next? We encourage you to do one of three things: 1) Leave a comment at the bottom of this page so we know if we are providing helpful information to you, 2) Sign up for our FREE Report in the box at the upper right of the page and get on our subscriber’s list, and 3) Pick up the phone and give us a call. We WANT to help you succeed with your innovation efforts. Being stuck for answers can hold you back and we know there has to be something on your mind. How many people will give you their time for FREE to help you out – not many I assure you. Yes, we are unique and that’s what we want you to find out. We are committed to helping you grow your brand substantially through added-value products and services. That is what market leaders do, so let’s get started.
Innovation ROI is a leading up-front innovation firm that has a combined 38 years of expertise collaborating with top corporate innovation teams to create incredible, actionable business—building ideas. You will get a Return On Insights through our Collision Point™ process, where INSIGHTS and IMAGINATION intersect to create powerful strategic ideas for success. Learn more about Innovation ROI at www.innovationroi.com.